With Valentine's Day landing on a Sunday this year, we decided to just have a quiet night in and make sushi. I haven't really had sushi since I went gluten free two and half years ago (well, I've had the mango crab rolls at Tucanos a couple of times, and while that's delicious, it doesn't really count).
The day started out with Cordy waking up at about 6:45 am. During the week if she wakes up before 7, I try my hardest to get her back to sleep. Josh tried for a little while, and then just decided to get up with her. Since we'd decided the night before that I'd be making the dinner, Josh said he'd make me a Valentine's breakfast. He planned to make breakfast in bed, but that didn't work out very well. He made yummy gluten free pancakes, bacon, and clementines with crio bru (roasted cocoa beans) sweetened with raw honey.
A million years ago when I met Josh, he taught me to put peanut butter on my pancakes, and now I can't eat them without it. It was a delicious feast. I even gave Maynard a special Valentine's bite of bacon.
In January, our church schedule changed to 11:00, so after breakfast we had a little time to waste. Josh blew some bubbles with Cordy. She just likes to watch them, and sometimes reaches over to try to catch them. Penuche tried to lick them. And Hammy freaked out when one hit him on the back!

After bubbles, Cordy got a full nap in before church. I guess that's the plus side of waking up so early on a Sunday morning! Then Josh dressed her up in this cute Valentine's Day outfit.

After we all got home from church, and Josh was done with his clerk duties, we started prepping the ingredients for sushi. Cordy started to get a little tired of sitting in the high chair and started fussing, so I gave her a sprig of cilantro to play with. She put it in her mouth, and actually seemed to enjoy chewing on it.


Here are the yummy creations I made. As you can see, I'm not an experienced sushi chef. I think I kept putting too much rice in them. But they were tasty!


Spicy tuna roll, tuna with cucumber and lemon, spam with cream cheese and asparagus, veggie roll (cream cheese, asparagus, avocado, cucumber, and cilantro), salmon with avocado and cream cheese, and spicy tuna with cucumber.
I also made ponzu dipping sauce and spicy mayo, and they were really yummy. I liked the veggie and the spam rolls the best. Josh said he liked the lemon one a lot. Josh had also bought some Virgil's Black Cherry Cream Soda for us. These are one of our favorite sodas. They don't have artificial colors or flavors or high fructose corn syrup. Plus they're super delicious.
![]() |
| My Valentine, our delicious feast, and watching Little Einsteins. |



2 comments:
I didn't know Joshy likes sushi...... Looks like you had a great Valentine's dinner.
Yeah I converted him shortly after we met. Ha ha!
Post a Comment